Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ground Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps for a Healthy Dinner

ground turkey taco lettuce wraps, ground turkey taco wrap

You all know I love exploring and making healthy dishes. It all started because I wanted to lose weight and now it's more for a healthier lifestyle for a longer life.

Now, tacos are one of the most loved Mexican dishes, whether it's to remedy a hangover or for a quick hunger fix. The thing though is that it can be the opposite of healthy eating. But we all can't stay away from it, amirite? There's literally hundreds of taco recipes out there that made a healthier recipe for it, all to get the best of both worlds. There won't be any substitute for the real thing of course, but these recipes can still satisfy the palate.


This particular recipe I found on Pinterest (no surprise there). But as I've become more courageous with cooking, I've made some changes to make it my own. Because cooking is really just that - experimenting to find that particular taste that you love.

So here I was with this recipe but I found that it calls for ingredients that I actually don't like very much. It has black beans, red bell pepper, and sour cream (it's okay but I can do without it). So I thought - what's a taco but a bunch of what you like stuffed in a tortilla right? So that's exactly what I did and here are the ingredients I came up with:

  •  1lb Ground turkey
  • 1 Green bell pepper
  • 1 Avocado
  • 3 Green onion/bunch of cilantro (I don't like cilantro so only Nick eats it)
  • 1 Sweet onion
  • Mango salsa
  • 1 head of butter lettuce
  • Brown rice
  • Limes
For spices - the usual:
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 tbsp Organic coconut oil
For the mango salsa:
  • 3 Ripe mangoes
  • 3 Tomatoes
  • 1 Jalapeno
  • 3 Green onion (Nick put cilantro in his)
  • 3 Limes
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Cook the brown rice as per instructions and cook the ground turkey with all the spices and add in the sliced green pepper towards the end. Prepare the mango salsa in a separate bowl and put in the fridge to cool (or not, I just like mine a little cool). 

Lay your butter lettuce, scoop in some brown rice and then the ground turkey, add slices of avocado, spoon in mango salsa and top it all off with green onions (or cilantro)

Plate the tacos with your favorite taco chips (we used Que Pasa) with a side of sliced limes and a bowl of mango salsa.

The hack that I did to make sure the tacos stay up is to put them in those silicone muffin cups. Neat right? You can also use muffin baking pans and you can serve six at once!

My husband is half Mexican whose favorite food will always be Mexican and he approved of this dish! It's a win for both of us!

Happy eating! ☺



No comments:

Post a Comment