Tuesday, July 28, 2015

An Anime-Inspired Dish Coz Why Not?


If there is one thing that friends from high school would remember me for - it is that I absolutely love anime. It started with my best friend insisting that I watch one of the hit animes back in our grade school years (I'm not gonna say how long ago that was!). After that, I was hooked.

Fast forward to a lot of years later and I'm still as hooked as I was back then. But my focus shifted from looking at the bishounen characters (I don't think anyone would be surprised that I spent most of my teenage years drooling over fictional men - I did attend an exclusive all girls school!) to noticing how yummy the food and bento boxes are in these animes! I've started drooling from boys to food. Haha! You can see how much I've grown there, right? Or did I actually? Haha! 

Anyway, since I love cooking, I immediately searched for anime food and wasn't surprised to see the number of Tumblr pages dedicated to just that! I was in heaven looking at those colorful bento boxes! And one of these sites actually shared the recipe of a Japanese dish that I usually see in animes - Shiozake or Salted Salmon. You cure the salmon with salt for at least three days, bake it, and you have yourself a traditional Japanese dish! And oh my gosh it was so good! I loved it immediately upon first bite! My taste is salty so this definitely catered to that. 


I only wish I had the same salmon cut as the Japanese one, then this dish would have been perfect! I usually buy fillets at a Canadian supermarket. But hey, I recently found out that a little Japanese supermarket in my city sells the exact salmon cut so the next time I do, it'll look exactly like the anime! And with the miso soup, green tea and Nori Kome Furikake topping on the rice, I have myself a traditional Japanese meal. Teehee.

Happy eating! ☺


No comments:

Post a Comment