Monday, July 27, 2015

The Santouka Ramen Experience



The one thing I love about living in the Greater Vancouver area is the easy access to great tasting and rich broth Japanese ramen. When my husband and I made our way to Vancouver that night, we were headed to another ramen place, one that serves chicken broth. Unfortunately for us, since this is favorite amongst the ramen places, they ran out of ramen. Haha! But apparently, that is how it is in Japan. My friend recently had a trip there, and one of the things he shared with us is that you eat and you go and they'll serve you only what's available that day. And when they're out, they close down for the day. And there may only be a couple things on the menu. I guess that makes sense as they mostly serve fresh seafood and what's in the season.

So devastated, my husband suggested we go to Santouka Ramen, which was only a block away. It may be our second choice but I've always wanted to try this, but always discouraged to do so because there's always a lineup outside. And even at around nine that night, there was still a bit of a lineup, a testament of how popular this place is. This comes as no surprise as it's situated in the popular West End, where there's an abundance of Asian restaurants. We didn't wait too long and with a quick scan of the menu (and being really hungry at that point), I knew what I wanted to order - Shio Ramen. This is their signature ramen which is mild and creamy soup seasoned with salt. It did not disappoint. I loved how rich the broth tasted, truly a soothing comfort food. The broth may be too rich though if you sip continuously. But that's why its perfect pair is a warm cup of green tea. Or an ice cold water too but I prefer warm tea.

And hey, it came in a huge bowl, which meant that for a tiny woman like me, I'd have leftover for the next day! And it was just as tasty as that night.

Happy eating! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment