Monday, August 31, 2015

Summer Grilling


One of the things that Nick and I look forward to in the summers (and I think everyone else for that matter) is that we can finally go outside and grill. Summer can mean lots of parties and out of town trips that we let ourselves indulge in food, and then overeat. I mean this is the time that we attend hosted summer barbecue parties and what does this mean - lots and lots of red meat and burgers with a side of baked potatoes. I am feeling full just by typing that out.

To counteract and stay true to our healthy lifestyle (half the time), Nick makes sure to grill seafood and veggies. And sometimes, they come with a side of meat. Open fire grilled veggies are quite the revelation. Vegetables, for me, were always in a soup or sauteed but grilling them - tomatoes, red onion, eggplant, and zucchini - brought out a whole new flavor. Red onions became sweet! I really did not know that! And tomatoes became so juicy! For some reason I thought, everything you grill turns out dry, especially vegetables, so this was such a treat for me. I'm happy to be proven wrong this time. I have a whole new love for veggies, grilled and which have been seasoned simply with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Every time Nick grills these, I always have a funny dilemma though. Which to eat last? Eggplants or zucchinis? I cannot choose a favorite between the two! On the other hand, I like corn better when boiled and then brushed with butter and sprinkled with a bit of salt. Ahh! Everything's so good!

And another treat for me? Seeing my man working that grill under the sun. ;)

What's on your plate this summer? Happy eating! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment