Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sun Sui Wah, Truly Dim Sum


Sunday is always something to look forward to. Besides hearing a great sermon at church, there's almost always an after-service fellowship that my friends and I would share over lunch. After church service when the last worship song ends, our first question will always be, "Where to for lunch?" As we all apparently didn't have time to eat breakfast, eating out is a very-welcomed idea. And after half an hour deciding where to eat (I do not exaggerate on this, and this despite us all saying, "Anywhere is fine. I just want food!"), we'd finally head out to our restaurant of choice.

Last Sunday wasn't an exception and after having agreed that dim sum is the way to go, Sun Sui Wah was definitely our first and only choice. Out of the many Chinese restaurants in Richmond, it has no doubt stood out as the best place serving dim sum. But that is according to hear-say rumors, and as I've never been there myself, I can't attest to that and was equally excited as a kid on Christmas day. (Food is a really good motivation for me, much as I like to deny it.)

The place doesn't look too inviting from the outside and seems to be in a "dead" area but that doesn't stop people from going there. After all, it is those hole in the wall eats that are sometimes surprisingly good, right? But it certainly is not that kind - a well-lit reception greets everyone upon entering to accommodate diners waiting to be seated. And if you see that sign, it is almost always a positive thing. The inside looks even more promising, groups and groups of eaters are seated in fancy tables, chopsticks in hands and enjoying food and their company (at least they seem that way to me who's non-Chinese speaking).

Seated and with house hot tea served, my friend started choosing from the menu. As he's the only Chinese-speaking in our group that time, we had no choice but to trust that we'd like what he'd order. So don't ask me to name the dishes above, I absolutely have no idea!

But I can certainly vouch for the taste. It has undoubtedly lived up to its name as one of the top dim sum places in Richmond. The dishes are served straight-out-of-the-oven-hot and w/ steam still coming off of them, they look quite appetizing. And they taste like how authentic Chinese food should taste like, or at least how I imagined them to be.

My fave from the bunch would be the ones with shrimp (we got three different dishes and all are just awesome), tofu, beef tendon, and sticky rice.


I regarded Sun Sui Wah highly from the good things I've heard, and it has met my expectation, if not exceeded. Truthfully, this is the first dim sum place I've tried but even so, I believe others will have a bit of a hard time beating it as the top in my book.

Happy eating! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment