Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Battle of the Ramen: Ajisen

 Tenderous Ribs Ramen 

Around the start of fall, when the winds started to pick up, so is my craving for some hot noodle soup. It was then so timely that one of my friends discovered this famous Ramen place in one of his trips in downtown Vancouver. A schedule was then made to check that place out on our next Sunday get together.

Sunday came and we headed to its supposed-to-be Richmond location but alas! It had unfortunately closed down. It would be easy to just head to the downtown location but amidst grumbling stomachs and light drizzle, we just decided to head to a nearer place in Richmond. And we ended up in Ajisen. A ramen place by the Chinese mall and owned by Chinese people. No surprise there, really.

Their huge selection of ramen made it hard for me to decide, they all looked appetizing (as they should be). Most of my friends ordered the simplest, which is pork ramen, and for the not-too-Asian tongues, some rice meals. But I wanted to try something different, knowing I wouldn't be coming back there so soon. I ended up ordering Tenderous Ribs Ramen, which was a house specialty and well-recommended. 
A few chit-chats here and there and then a few more along with laughs and our orders finally arrived. Served hot and in this huge bowls I almost forgot to say the traditional "Itadekimasu" before digging in! I don't know if it's the light rain and the cold, but it was definitely soothing and so good. I loved it. The soup tasted like how a ramen should and the tender ribs were definitely a good choice. Seafood ramen could have been a great choice too if I wasn't too hungry and wanting some meat. I reckon that would be a better choice for me in the future. Yumm-eh. The noodles were aplenty and I couldn't be happier. After all what makes ramen more traditionally Japanese and interesting to eat is to lift those noodles up and shove it in your mouth w/ a chopstick right? (of course I mean this as lady-like as you can be). There's just this joy eating your food in its entirety w/ chopsticks. I know a lot would agree to that. Or maybe that's just me being really Asian. :)

.....................

Remember I thought I wouldn't be back here soon? Well, it turns out I was wrong! A few Sundays after, we found ourselves ordering from Ajisen again! It may be back too soon but we're Asian, and we want Asian food. Lol! So this time around, I tried the BBQ Pork Ramen and my friend tried the Shoyu BBQ Pork Ramen. Okay, what's the diff, right? Well, mine's the normal ramen and the Shoyu is soy sauce soup, which isn't really the regular ramen soup. Anyway, the bottom line is they're both delicious! And we even got fried tofu on soy sauce (I didn't ask what they call it) on the house! Yay for free food! 

BBQ Pork Ramen 

Shoyu BBQ Pork Ramen

Tofu on the house

Ajisen might not have been the ramen place we wanted to eat at at first, but it was good choice to end up in on a whim, enough to go to for a second time. ;)

So, the verdict? Definitely a good ramen place that'd leave you saying "Gochisoosama!"

Well, what happened to the famous Ramen place we wanted to go to? We did manage to go there, but that's a new post altogether. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment