Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Battle of the Ramen: Kintaro


Part 2!

I have mentioned in my previous post that we wanted to go this famous Ramen place but ended up going to a totally different one, but no regrets there of course.

A week after that, we finally scheduled to go to Kintaro, the one in downtown Vancouver. Coming from Richmond, it wasn't a really hard commute - a Canada Line, bus, and a bit of walking - and you're there. And yes, you would want to commute, as there's no parking available - it is downtown so no surprise there.

We got there a bit early 'cause we've been told by word-of-mouth that the line can be pretty long. Too early actually, we we're the first and only ones in line. Lol. But it's still the right decision, by the time we sat down and started eating, people were coming in groups and the place had been quickly filled. And by the time we're halfway down our bowls, lines started to go long outside. But I am jumping ahead. Let's backtrack a bit.

As the Japanese are accustomed to small spaces living in their own country, they have somewhat brought that small-space culture in here. Mostly all Japanese restaurants (all you can eat ones excluded) don't offer much space to their diners, thus always packed. And if they're as famous as Kintaro, there's almost always a lineup outside. Such is the environment in this little Ramen place that I feel like I'm in a busy restaurant in Tokyo (though I haven't been there).

So what makes ramen from Kintaro different that the ones in Ajisen? Four things:
  • Less choices in ramen menu
  • Choice of lean or fat meat
  • Choice of rich or medium soup
  • And if I'm not mistaken, I think they also make their own noodles (that's what we heard)
So, the ultimate question: Does it live up to being the famous ramen place in Vancouver? Oh yes. While I haven't tried out all the ramen places here, I can certainly see why it has become famous. I got the simple Pork Ramen and I ordered like so, "Pork Ramen, Fat Pork, Rich Soup." Haha, all the way baby! This for sure I won't be back for a while and so I got the very best they could offer.

And I loved it. The taste, of course,  was very rich and the pork just melts in your mouth - it was that gooooooood. Kinda makes me think of M&Ms - melts in your mouth, not in your hand. Or in this case, soup. Haha! The price of the meal is okay too, you definitely get your money's worth - all (less than) $10 of it. And with our tummies full and taste buds satisfied, we headed out happy diners.

Couple of hours later though, we felt so sleepy and it was only around 3 in the afternoon. It was weird for all of us to actually feel weak and sleepy all at the same time and concluded it was probably because of the ramen.We're assuming it contained lots of MSG, making us all feel sleepy after eating a whole bowl! Note to selves: do not order the rich soup. Lol.

The verdict in this battle of the ramen on which is better of the two? I'd say it's a tie for me. On a special ramen-craving day, I won't mind heading to the west end of Vancouver for the ultimate ramen experience in Kintaro. And on regular fall ramen-craving days, I'd go to the nearest but equally tasty one - Ajisen. And yes, I have two types of ramen cravings. In any case, I loved them both ramen places!

Happy eating! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment