Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fall & Winter Fave Dish


As the weather transitions from green to brown, bringing in dropped temperatures and colder winds, we leave our barbecued delights for warm food and hot soups. And in the very Asian-at-heart Richmond, this usually means Pho Noodles and Hot Pot (or at least with my family and friends).

Almost always, my friends and I would have late night cravings for Pho and would head over to our fave restaurant, Pho Hoa for this warm treat. And here you see my friend photo-bombing my food as I take a photo to post in Instagram. Lol!

If I'm with my family, we have a different fave Pho restaurant as well but I unfortunately forgot its name. Sorry about that! It's equally delicious in taste with Pho Hoa and as with price but I find that Pho Hoa has a bigger serving for the regular-sized bowls.


Hot pot is a whole different story as with matters to where you eat it as it's always enjoyed at home. And it's not so hard to whip up a hot pot party. With Richmond brimming with Chinese grocery stores, you can easily pick up seafood balls, rice or glass noodles, mushrooms, green veggies, beef, Chinese sauces and condiments - pretty much whatever you like to put in your hot pot (as long as they're edible of course). I think hot pot materials have even become staple food to always have stocked up in your fridge - for those sudden warm food cravings.

So here's a typical hot pot setup at my aunt's place (sans the rice and the noodle dish on the left side).


And voila, hot pot is ready!

As with coffee, Pho Noodle Soup and Hot Pot are like warm hugs on a cold cold day. After all, what better way to lighten and warm the gloomy cold Fall and Winter days than with the company of great people huddled together eating these right? Wherever you are, these two just make the place cozier, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment