Thursday, October 29, 2015

A Very Healthy & Tasty Lunch


I love Pinterest and always go there to look for healthy recipes. It's my go-to website/app before I start listing down my grocery items for the week and of course it helps that recipes always look good there. Anyway, I found these two dishes there and since I love Asian food and healthy dishes, these immediately drew my attention - Japanese Quinoa Salad and Korean-Grilled Chicken Breast. Put them together and you have a tasty and healthy protein-packed Asian meal.

I do not like chicken breast - which isn't a good thing since they're healthy and full of protein. My dislike for them was because I couldn't find a recipe that won't leave it bland and dry. All healthy recipes call for baked and the sauces or rubs are only outside, leaving the inside tasting blech. I'm Asian so my taste is rich. I like flavors and fragrance. I've tried baking chicken breast with pesto (which I love) but discovered I don't like them together. I wrapped breasts in bacon (because, bacon!) and still didn't like it. I've actually given up and just stopped trying to make chicken breast tasty. 

But I want to live a healthy lifestyle. I've gotten to a point where I cannot eat any more salmon (and I love it!), chicken thighs, leg quarters (just too big!) without being unsatisfied. There's really only fish and poultry as meats for healthy eating and my taste buds just needed variety. It's gotten to a point where I can smell the chicken (they're cooked too!) and I just couldn't take a bite of it. And salmon! Don't get me started on that, it's a new post altogether. Okay, I've rambled way too much. 

So I had to try and go back to eating the healthy part of it - but it had to be a really tasty recipe or else I'm screwed. I found Korean-grilled chicken breast and I was sold. I absolutely love Korean food and needed it to be healthy. The recipe promised flavor and tenderness so I decided I'd give it a try. 

And now, I'm back to liking chicken breasts again! I am in love with the recipe! It's overflowing with flavor and fragrance! I have vowed to do this recipe every week after taking my first bite. It's so easy to make. I could just throw everything Sunday night and marinate and cook them when I need to add protein to my meals. And how come I didn't realize before that pounding on these breasts would make them loads tender?? Seriously. 

And then there's quinoa. I've learned to love quinoa, after I learned how to cook them properly. Haha! And you can spice it up with dressing and veggies and meat and it's a complete meal. Then I found Japanese Quinoa Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing. Sooo good! This one takes time to make though - as you need to cook the ingredients separately and put them together. It was work. But worth it. But I don't think I'll have it everyday. 

The Japanese Quinoa Salad and Korean-Grilled Chicken Breast didn't exactly look like the ones on Pinterest (when do they ever turn out exactly like Pinterest anyway?) but they taste delicious! And yes, brown lump in the bowl is the grilled chicken breast. Lol! I know, never mind that it doesn't look Pinterest-y, it doesn't even look like chicken breast! Haha! It's only cause the I put the extra marinade sauce on top coz it was really good! Anyway, check out my Pinterest for some healthy recipes!

Happy eating! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment